Malapascua Island (Cebu, PH)
The larger the island of knowledge, the longer the shoreline of wonder. – Ralph W. Sockman
Malapascua – an island situated in the Visayan Sea across a shallow strait from the northernmost tip of Cebu Province.
The island became well-known during the early 1990s as a must-visit dive destination. However, even before its dive wonders rose to fame, Malapascua has been famed for its stretch of white sand beach called Bounty Beach; moreover, it has also been identified for its stunning seascape that boasts off wondrous coral gardens
Today, a great number of divers – local and international alike – come to the island and see for themselves Monad Shoal and Kemod Shoal. Monad Shoal specifically is an underwater plateau where thresher sharks and manta ray are seen on a regular basis.
What else can one do in Malapascua?
- Ask your boatman to take you to various snorkelling sites including those with shipwreck wonders.
- Do cliff diving. Not for the faint-hearted but for those with beaming adrenaline in them. Los Bamboo Point is a good place to do this.
- Have lunch or picnic along one of the beaches that surround the island. We enjoyed the ones at Bounty Beach and Bantigue Cove when me and my friends where here.
- Wait for the sunset, it may be along the beach or make your way to an old lighthouse and wait for the golden hour.
- Take a motorcycle ride as a means of exploring other parts of the island.
- Eat lechon! We were surprised that even in such tiny island, lechon Cebu is also available. Yummy!
How to Get to Malapascua Island:
From Manila: There are a number of airlines flying from Manila to Cebu regularly. Once in Mactan – Cebu, ride a metered taxi going to the North Bus Terminal. Take a bus (usually a Ceres Bus) bound for Maya-Bagay, Daanbantayan in Northern Cebu. Bus ride may take 3 – 4 hours.
At the Maya Wharf, a large boat will serve as a means of transportation to Malapascua. They also offer special trips of P800.00 – P1,000.00 where you will charter your own boat and you will not have to wait for other passengers before it leaves.
Once you set foot on the island, you take a motorcycle ride to wherever you wish to be brought to.
Don’t be a wasted soul, be a wanderlust. Take it easy ebriwan. Roamulofied out.